Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Music Directors Need Tonys, Too

I totally agree that there should be a Tony for Best Ensemble. There are some shows that just don't have a clear-cut lead, and in those cases, more than usual, a stellar performance from one person requires stellar performances across the board. Aside from the plays mentioned in the article (weird it left out musicals), a show like SPELLING BEE or [title of show] perfectly makes the case for such an award.

It's hard to say if a Best Ensemble Tony will ever exist, or if it'll last. I love the Tonys to the point where I am bitter about decisions that were made before I was born, but Tony Logic is so fickle and unpredictable that most of the time I just have to laugh. The Best Replacement Tony was, in my opinion, not such a great idea, and I'm glad that ended up not happening, but I do strongly believe in a Special Theatrical Event Tony.

But the Tony Award that needs to exist above all other Tony Awards is one for Music Director (as the crazily talented Georgia Stitt pointed out on Twitter). How does this not exist?! I mean, seriously. Seriously?! Obviously the committee understands that music is really important and that a lot goes into it, since there's a Tony for Best Orchestrations and one for Sound Design (both of which I fully support). So not having a Music Direction Tony is ridiculous and incredibly disrespectful of the insane amounts of work music directors do. Spend ten minutes in rehearsal of a musical, and that becomes extremely clear. The Tony Awards should recognize and honor that.

No comments:

Post a Comment