Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I Knew I Wasn't The Only One Who Wanted This

Lily Allen is writing a musical! And it's an adaptation of Bridget Jones' Diary! I think this is perfect. The narratives in Lily Allen's songs are a big part of why I love them; the girl knows how to tell a story, AND she knows how to do it in music as well as lyrics. I think Lily Allen's voice fits so well with the material, too. Bridget Jones' Diary is one of the only romantic comedies I really enjoy, and there's something so perfectly British about the tone of the film and about the character of Bridget Jones herself--a Britishness that Lily Allen's work shares. There's a very specific,hilarious brand of good-natured defeatism mixed with sassy optimism, and I'm not sure I could think of anyone better than Lily Allen to express that.

Of course, I'm also thrilled to see actual pop music in a musical. As much as I wish that more of these rock and pop shows would be written by theatre composers and lyricists, instead of rock and pop stars who probably won't write another show, I'm happy to see another artist from the mainstream music world writing for theatre. And who knows, maybe Lily Allen will be really good at it, love it, and do more theatre work. Elton John is a Broadway veteran, after all, and Duncan Sheik and Steven Slater didn't stop writing musicals after Spring Awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment